Operation Rio Grande
DPS Week 17 Operation Rio Grande Report
- Latest statistics: the numbers of jail booked arrests are continuing to decrease as Operation Rio Grande continues. The number of arrests with a use of force was zero during week 16. There were 38 drug-related arrests during this week. Since the operation began on August 14, the grand total jail booked arrests is now 2,344.
- Since the start of Operation Rio Grande, 141 charges have been filed for drug distribution resulting in 118 jail bookings. These are tied to active investigations.
- In the month of November, agents from the State Bureau of Investigation (SBI) arrested multiple known drug dealers in connection to intelligence gathered during Operation Rio Grande. Two search warrants were served in November, adding to the total of 15 search warrants since August 14. To read more about SBI’s recent activity, click here.
- Reports of disbursement of persons from the Rio Grande area to other areas continue to decrease.
- SBI and the State Information and Analysis Center (SIAC) are coordinating with Salt Lake Valley Police agencies to address drug distribution in their respective areas that may be connected to Operation Rio Grande.
- 40+ DPS troopers and agents continue to police the area.
- For more details about Operation Rio Grande and non-law enforcement efforts, see operationriogrande.utah.gov.