Two State Agencies, Twelve States, One Goal: Saving Lives Through Speed Enforcement
UHP and UDOT kick off campaign targeting excessive speed and speeding in construction zones by participating in a multi-state weekend speed enforcement project
WHAT: Summer is in full swing in Utah, which means more people are hitting the road for vacations and more construction crews are working hard on transportation projects. Speeding endangers everyone on the road, and this is especially true in construction zones. Unfortunately, throughout the west, law enforcement agencies have seen a dangerous trend in excessive speeds, including speeds of 100 mph or more.
To help address the issues of excessive speed and speeding in construction zones, the Utah Highway Patrol (UHP) and Utah Department of Transportation are kicking off a speed enforcement and awareness campaign. The kickoff coincides with the Western States Traffic Safety Coalition’s Excessive Speed Enforcement Safety Campaign, which runs June 25th – 27th. Utah will join 11 other states in conducting focused speed patrols throughout the weekend. UHP’s motor squad will start the enforcement campaign in the construction zone on I-80/I-215.
It’s not just highways and interstates that will see increased speed enforcement. More than 21 law enforcement agencies throughout Utah will be participating in over 150 extra speed enforcement shifts on city and county roads, too.
WHEN: Thursday, June 24th, 10 a.m.
WHERE: Media Briefing in Highland High School south east parking lot
2166 S 1700 E, Salt Lake City, UT 84106
UHP Motors Enforcement along I-80/I-215 construction zone – media can view and film from 1700 East overpass following briefing
- Major Jeff Nigbur, Utah Highway Patrol
- Becky Strom, UDOT Project Manager for I-80/I-215 Project
- Chris Dillman, Project Manager, Ralph L. Wadsworth Construction
- Uniformed Officers, Marked UHP Motors and Vehicles with speed limit road signs
- Media can view officers doing enforcement stops from the 1700 East Overpass, overlooking I-80
- Media can attach GoPro cameras to UHP motors for additional B-roll
- Speed Enforcement PSA Video “Slow Down, Utah”
- Data graphics and fact sheet will be included in the press kit
Sgt. Cameron Roden