Operation Rio Grande
DPS Week 19 Operation Rio Grande Report
- Latest statistics: the numbers of jail booked arrests are continuing to decrease as Operation Rio Grande continues. The number of arrests with a use of force was zero during week 19. There were 23 drug-related arrests during this week. Since the operation began on August 14, the grand total jail booked arrests is now 2,505.
- Since the start of Operation Rio Grande, 164 charges have been filed for drug distribution. These are tied to active investigations.
- On December 22, DPS’ State Bureau of Investigation (SBI) agents and SERT team served a narcotics search warrant at a residence in Salt Lake City. This was part of an ongoing narcotics investigation stemming from information obtained during Operation Rio Grande. Distributable amounts of heroin and methamphetamine, as well as multiple items of drug paraphernalia were discovered during the execution of the search warrant. One person was charged with possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute as well as possession of drug paraphernalia. The search warrant is sealed on this case.
- SBI agents have now served 20 search warrants since the beginning of Operation Rio Grande.
- DPS also worked alongside multiple law enforcement agencies from across the Salt Lake Valley on an operation to take down criminal activity happening across the valley including locations near Trax platforms. This operation resulted in the arrest of 40 individuals. To read more, click here.
- SBI and the State Information and Analysis Center (SIAC) are coordinating with Salt Lake Valley Police agencies to address drug distribution in their respective areas that may be connected to Operation Rio Grande.
- 40+ DPS troopers and agents continue to police the area.
- For more details about Operation Rio Grande and non-law enforcement efforts, see operationriogrande.utah.gov.