Commissioner Squires Joins State Leaders to Protect Utah’s Students
Department of Public Safety Commissioner Keith Squires has joined the Utah School Safety Commission along with multiple non-partisan volunteers, who bring years of expertise in a wide range of disciplines.
The Utah School Safety Commission is dedicated to finding policies to work on one of the most pressing issues the nation is facing: gun violence in schools. The Commission includes Legislators, law enforcement, an architect, a gun lobbyist, teachers, mental health experts, researchers and educators. Here is a full list of Commission members:
- Keith Squires, Commissioner Utah Department of Public Safety
- Terryl Warner, board member of the Utah State Board of Education
- Clark Aposhian, chairman of the board of the Shooting Sports Council
- Dallas Earnshaw, Psychiatry doctor at Wasatch Mental Health
- John Hoffmann, professor at Brigham Young University
- Ron Gordon, general counsel at the Office of the Governor, Utah
- Bryan Turner, director of Architectural Services at Davis School District
- Heidi Matthews, president, Utah Education Association
- Two high school students (to be determined)
“There are opportunities that could come forward, some that we haven’t even heard of yet that may make sense and may make a difference in something that so many of us care about,” said Commissioner Squires.
The Commission also wants to work with the public. They hope Utahns will visit its website and submit ideas. In an effort to be transparent and work along side parents, students and community members, the public can submit ideas to the Commission on its website, by clicking here.