Operation Rio Grande
DPS Week 15 Operation Rio Grande Report
- Latest statistics: the numbers of jail booked arrests are continuing to decrease as Operation Rio Grande continues. The number of arrests with a use of force was zero during week 15. There were 26 drug-related arrests during this week. Since the operation began on August 14, the grand total jail booked arrests is now 2,207.
- Since the start of Operation Rio Grande, 131 charges have been filed for drug distribution resulting in 118 jail bookings. These are tied to active investigations.
- Within the past week, agents from the State Bureau of Investigation arrested a local drug dealer and seized five pounds of methamphetamine likely destined for the Rio Grande area. Additionally, agents executed a search warrant in the Rio Grande District at the Gateway Motel arresting three individuals for drug dealing and seized drugs, paraphernalia, and recovered a stolen gun.
- Reports of disbursement of persons from the Rio Grande area to other areas continue to decrease.
- SBI and the State Information and Analysis Center (SIAC) are coordinating with Salt Lake Valley Police agencies to address drug distribution in their respective areas that may be connected to Operation Rio Grande.
- 40+ DPS troopers and agents continue to police the area.
- For more details about Operation Rio Grande and non-law enforcement efforts, see operationriogrande.utah.gov.